Position Summary: The Associate Editor reports to the Editor-in-chief, and will be responsible for content coordination, development, and production for a range of digital and print publications and platforms serving the daily and market-time business of Dallas Market Center. The Associate Editor will also cultivate and create editorial content about the gift, home décor, and fashion industries that are relevant to Dallas Market Center customers to be included in the Source magazine and other editorial properties, both print and digital, and also work with the Marketing Department to create content on various projects supporting the company’s mission of bringing together buyers and sellers inside a dynamic center of inspiration and commerce.
Position Description (Italics reflect performance appraisal criteria):
· Create content for all publications as well as projects with the Marketing Department
· Edit/proofread content in DMC publications, including Buyer’s Directories, magazines and other editorial assets
· Oversee production of directories, including working with creative team and various internal departments to gather and review information
· Attend Dallas Market Center trade events/markets (includes weekends) to build relationships with exhibitors and buyers, and help determine trends across categories
· Develop content ideas and contribute articles and other content based on direction from DMC and editor-in-chief
· Adhere to strict deadlines
· Assist where needed on DMC digital platforms and social media
· Work with editor-in-chief and Marketing Department to develop and adhere to style guide across departments
· Bachelor’s degree in directly related field, (Journalism, Advertising, Marketing)
· 3+ years editorial experience
· Self-Starter, able to work independently and in coordination with a team
· Strong copyediting and proofreading skills
· Experience interviewing and writing articles
· Basic knowledge of InDesign, Photoshop
· Proficient in word and Excel
· Knowledge of gift, home décor and/or fashion industries a plus
· Office Environment – Ability to sit for vast majority of work shift
· Market Environment – Extended periods of walking/standing during markets
· Communication: Effectively listens to others and makes clear and effective oral presentations to individuals and groups regarding work-unit or organization issues. Communicates effectively in writing; is clear, concise and easily understood.
· Flexibility: Adapts to change in the work environment in ways that help work-unit staff keep projects “on course.”
· Interpersonal Skills: Considers and appropriately responds to the needs, feelings, capabilities, and interests of others.
· Planning: Establishes policies, guidelines, plans, and priorities required to meet work-unit or organization objectives.
· Resource Utilization: Responsibly spends financial resources in ways that result in ultimate accomplishment of work-unit or organizational objectives. Effectively and efficiently uses materials, supplies, equipment, systems or organization facilities.
· Self-Management: Engages in the effective use of self-assessment and self-management techniques in order to proactively and continuously improve own performance. Exhibits full responsibility for one’s own work achievements and consistently maintains a high level of self-management that contributes to sustained high performance.
· Time Management: Effectively uses the time available to complete work tasks and activities that lead to the achievement of expected work objectives (as results or outputs).