DALLAS – June 15, 2017 – Dallas Market Center proudly presents architect Hermes Mallea, AIA, speaking on Thursday, June 22 as part of the grand opening of the Interior Home + Design Center. Mallea will discuss “Great Houses of Havana” at noon on the first floor of the building.
From Beaux Arts palaces, modern mansions, Spanish Colonial and even beach houses, Mallea explores the rich, sophisticated, and varied history of Havana architecture and interior design. Mallea will be introduced by Beatriz Ball, founder of the Beatriz Ball Collection.
Mallea’s book Great Houses of Havana: A Century of Cuban Style (The Monacelli Press) has been praised by leading experts and design media. Architectural Digest commended it as “an elegant new book” and The New York Times has called out the book multiple times for its importance. House Beautiful named it a “Favorite Book” and commented that is has “a knack for finding the most telling details and most interesting anecdotes.”
In an interview, Mallea commented: “As American as I feel, it was very moving to be in those spaces and to talk with everyone, from the nuns who have run the old-folks’ home for 70 years to families who still occupy the houses their ancestors built. It never stopped being gratifying.”
“As interest in Cuba’s history and culture escalates, we are proud to host Hermes to present his unique perspective on architecture and design,” said Cindy Morris, president and CEO of Dallas Market Center.
“We invite all designers and interested retailers to join us for a lively visual tour and discussion.”
Hermes Mallea is a partner in the New York City based firm M(Group). Mallea studied at the University of Miami School of Architecture and Columbia University’s graduate school of historic preservation and is a member of the American Institute of Architects (AIA). A longtime collector of vintage Cuban photographs, Mallea has travelled to Cuba frequently to conduct research and to lecture on historic preservation.
Also taking place on Thursday, June 22 is a Day of Education geared toward retailers and interior designers seeking insights and inspiration. Among the events taking place on the first floor of the Interior Home + Design Center:
• A 10:00 a.m. podcast recording session and live social media video broadcast from award winning designer, author, and podcast host of Million Dollar Decorating, James Swan, who will interview special guest Greg O’Neal. Greg is the Chief Collaboration Officer for Cur8, a business co-op bringing
smart design, healthy design, and environmental + socially responsible design products directly to the interior design marketplace.
• At 11:00 a.m. James Swan will also moderate a special panel of celebrity interior design experts. “Three Divas of Design” will include Michelle Nussbaumer, Nancy Price, and Robin Baron.
• Robin Baron is a New York City-based interior designer, lifestyle expert, and home furnishings designer often seen across media as an expert in the stylish art of living. Her eponymous home furnishings collection is debuting in the Interior Home + Design Center.
• Nancy Price is the elegant and forward-thinking owner of a Jackson, Mississippi-based design firm. Her design business and showroom provide clients with careful counsel for design projects as well as curated art, lighting, antiques, custom furniture, and jewelry.
• Michelle Nussbaumer is the creative force behind a global design business as well as a renowned Dallas retail destination, Ceylon et Cie. She is celebrated for her impeccable style, discerning eye, and her depth of knowledge of style history and design.
Following the program Michelle Nussbaumer will sign copies of her new book Wanderlust: Interiors That Bring the World Home, which features dramatically lush interiors from around the globe.
• At 3:30 p.m. learn from the pros, Toma Clark Haines, The Antiques Diva, and Daniel Larsson, one of Sweden's top resources for antiques. This dynamic duo will teach you how to look for and purchase Swedish antiques.
Dallas Market Center is the largest and most successful design center in the U.S., welcoming thousands of interior designers to its global trade events, including Total Home & Gift Market, in addition to hosting more than 2,000 members of the design community each month visiting an unequaled collection of open-daily showrooms.
Design showrooms at Dallas Market Center currently serve a discerning design community actively seeking new resources for residential and commercial projects across the U.S. and Latin America. In addition to Total Home & Gift Markets, the market center hosts a full calendar of design events throughout the year in partnership with organizations including ASID (American Society of Interior Design), TAID (Texas Association of Interior Design), and IDS (Interior Design Society), which held their national conference at Dallas Market Center in April 2016. For 2017, Dallas Market Center will host 20 design events during non-market time periods, the largest of which welcomes more than 600 interior designers.
Dallas Market Center is located in the strongest economic zone in the U.S., and five of the ten fastest growing cities in the U.S. are located within Texas. Travel costs to Dallas are the lowest among all major market destination cities, and two convenient airports, more than 8,000 free parking spaces, a comprehensive hotel shuttle system, and an efficient regional rail system with a Dallas Market Center station provide easy access to the market center.
To make plans for upcoming markets, visit the Dallas Market Center website including the Design page and download the Dallas Market Center App. Also, keep up-to-date on all information by visiting Dallas Market Center on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and the DMC Daily Dose.
About Dallas Market Center
Dallas Market Center is a global business-to-business trade center and the leading wholesale marketplace in North America connecting retailers and interior designers with top manufacturers in home décor, furniture, gifts, lighting and fashion. Inside its dynamic, five million square foot campus near downtown Dallas, nearly 200,000 customers from all 50 states and 85 countries seek industry trends, business education and new products via open-daily showrooms and from exhibitors participating in trade events held throughout the year. The Dallas Market Center website is available at dallasmarketcenter.com.